Monday, October 24, 2011

I'm a jerk and I'm hiring someone to code for me



Yes, I'm hiring a freelancer to do my code.


I know that makes me a horrid person in the video game community by most standards.  Everyone always says, "Learn how to code."

OK, sure if it was Ruby on Rails, I probably wouldn't mind.  But, no, I don't want to learn Objective C while I pay other people.  I might as well just pay more people.  You know, because I'm not completely destitute yet.

The sad thing is that I want to learn how to code...I just don't have the time at the moment, and it's not cost efficient.  Second, I really believe in the mantra of focusing on what you're good at.  I'm good at

  • Creative stuff
  • Managing people
  • Marketing/PR
  • Giving away my money

All of this suggest, logically, that I should hire someone else to do it.  Also

  • I would have to buy a Mac (I had a dev but he backed out...we would have used his stuff)
  • I would have to learn everything
  • The game idea would fizzle out I would get frustrated, I would throw said Mac against wall, negating both progress and possession of a shiny object
  • I believe in hiring people helps make the world a better place because people get paid to do work, and you get to stress less.  It's like charity, only I get something else out of it.

More importantly, I'm not very good at logical thinking at the best of times (I'm investing in an adventure iPhone game) so I think someone with experience and code and tricks on hand makes a lot more sense than well, anything else that I could come up with.  I have ideas about how things work, and I could probably cobble things together or tweak (read: destroy) code once it's finished, but it's just so much easier working with someone with experience.





No comments:

Post a Comment