Saturday, November 26, 2011

Battle System

Had a bit of a breakthrough on the battle system today.  It's a pretty simple system, based on a RPS mechanic, but after watching several reviews of other iPhone games and seeing the ones that get the best reviews, it's clear that I was lacking something in the battle system.


All good battle systems for casual games have a sense of progression.  (Scrap that:  all good games in general have a progressive battle system.)  The problem I had with my battle system is that it didn't have any easy to implement progression that added small changes to the battle system.  I had toyed with having some skill-based mechanics (ie. hand-eye coordination required mechanics) in each of the battle, but I decided a) that's lame b) everyone else has really beat that particular horse to death and c) this game is story, strategy and decision based.  I don't want to throw in random crap like hit all the right buttons and get a grand slam kinda thing.

The main issue I'm facing now is how much health to give each character.  Do I give each character in battle their own health bar, or do I have one energy bar for the whole team?  I'm really tempted to use a team energy bar, but maybe that's too restricting.

No comments:

Post a Comment